Thursday, December 26, 2013

Write Club and the origins of a poet and his blog

Earlier this year, Jeanine and I started going to a writing group--the Write Club--in Cynthiana, KY at the Cynthiana-Harrison County Public Library. The group meets once a once a week at the Library's Annex three Mondays a month from 6:00 pm to about 8:00 pm. The third Monday of each month we meet at Biancke's Restaurant, about a block from the Library, on the same side of the street. You're more than welcome to join us.

So anyway, if we were going to be going to this writing group I wanted to write something other than plays. I already belong to a group--Kentucky Playwrights Workshop, Inc.--that supports my efforts to develop as a playwright. So I have been writing and working on my poetry for Write Club.

I've sent my poetry out to a pretty decent variety of literary journals--I think somewhere north of eight and south of twenty. But no one seems to think much of them; they couch it much more diplomatically, of course: "We're sorry, but your poems do not meet our editorial needs at the present time."

Of course, it is possible that if I rotate my poems around enough and send them out over and over to different journals, one day--like someone hitting the lottery--I might experience the joy of having a poem or two published or (drum roll, please) I could start a blog and share my poetry whether they ever get published or not.

I have chosen to start a blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment